Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Religious Tolerance? Where? Not at my job...

An event happened at work today that really irked me. We had a new temp start today. Today was my coworker's birthday and we got her a cake and were cutting it in the conference room. She asked if the new temp was going to come have cake. I mentioned that I didn't even know his name. Another coworker said, "It's Abdoodoo or something weird." Turns out his name is Abdul. I don't know if he's Muslim or not, but he has an Arabic name. A different coworker said, "I hope he doesn't blow up the building or something!" Then one of my bosses said, "I thought the same thing when I saw his resume and so did my boss! He said the same exact thing!"

Really? Is that what my fellow people in the USA think of Muslims or people with Arabic names? That we are terrorists going to blow up the building? It ticked me off! They don't know I am Muslim obviously, the birthday girl knows that I am Muslim. Perhaps I should have come right out and told them and asked them not to be so rude. Still, an office is not supposed to be prejudiced about anything like race or religion! And supervisors are definitely not supposed to voice those prejudiced opinions! Not cool. Not cool at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment